White Velvet Tradescantias (Tradescantia fluminensis) are popular houseplants for several reasons. They are easy to care for, tolerant of a wide range of growing conditions, and have attractive leaves that are variegated with silver and green. In addition, they are relatively inexpensive and can be found at most garden centers or online retailers.
Tradescantia White Velvet – 4″ Pot
Out of stock
The Tradescantia genus is comprised of over 75 different plant species, many of which are popular houseplants due to their easy care requirements. One member of this diverse family is the white velvet Tradescantia, a low-growing plant with striking white leaves. If youre looking for a unique addition to your indoor jungle, read on to learn more about this interesting plant!
- -Easy to grow indoors at home
- -Grow easily in USDA zones 3 through 8
- -Belong to the Spider Flower subfamily
- -have a growth rate between 12 and 18 annually
- Suitable for indoor or outdoor use in low-light conditions
- Olive green leaves and simple white flowers
- Habitats: United States, Canada, and Mexico
- -Beautiful centrepiece to an indoor garden, with beautiful white leaves and matte purple stems.
- -The flowers of the plant are small and white, but they have a long flowering period compared to other plants. The flowers can last up to 4 months if grown in warmer environments (about 75 degrees Fahrenheit).
- -Indoors, this plant prefers slightly lower light levels than most houseplants, like living near a window that faces north. It does well on the east or west sides of a house or building in areas that are partially shaded from the morning or afternoon sun.
- -Some members of this family require more upkeep than others, as some Tradescantia can be seasonal and disappear shortly after cold winter months. Be sure youre purchasing a hardy variety!
- -Multi-stemmed evergreen perennial with waxy white variegated leaves that grow as far as 45 cm
- -Provides an elegant contrast to other green houseplants or grows well solo in a water-draining pot
- -Requires moderate watering--about once a week--and prefers rich soil, cool climate
- -Especially enjoys plant food containing potassium nitrate, nitrogen and phosphorus
- -Comes in variety of colors--white is more popular
- Family: Spiderwort. Genus: Tradescantia
- Type: perennial. Height: 20-30cm (8-12 inches)
- Flower color: green, white and violet
- Light requirements: low. Can tolerate shade, but prefers indirect light
- Watering required: infrequent. Allow soil to dry out between waterings
- One flower may last up to 12 days